She also told me that it would take about thirty minutes for our boat to arrive at the wharf and she asked us all to just hang out. You can also read my guest post on WildJunket about 5 Essential things to do around Halong Bay while waiting it out if you arrive early there.
Public Buses to Halong Bay from Hanoi
- Long Bien or Gia Lam Station (other side of Red River, 2km from Hoan Kiem Lake)
- Luong Yen station to Bai Chay (Halong City)
- Buses depart every 30 minutes from 6AM to 6PM and cost 50,000 dong/person each way
- There is also a tourist bus from Travel Agencies near the Hoan Kiem Lake which cost US$8 per person one way.
- Journey takes about 4-6 hours depending on traffic
- Bring an iPod or MP3 player, trust me, you WILL need it.
- Bring drinks and snacks
- Insect repellent
- Swimsuit or trunks