728x90 AdSpace

Coming soon

Latest News

recent posts

05 February, 2011

Street Coffee in Hanoi - Picture of the Week

Street Coffee in Hanoi is my picture of the week. This photo was taken at the junction of the famous cathedral in Hanoi's Old Quarter in April 2010. A popular locals hangout by the street, they are seen sitting all around the sidewalk drinking Vietnamese Coffee or the special lemon juice. while munching on local peanuts throwing the skins on the floor. Foot high stools are used as makeshift tables while groups of youngsters are seen sitting around chatting and watching life pass by at Cafe Nhoi Tho which is along the busy intersection here. This is a common pass time for locals in Hanoi and you can find many similar places around town especially at the Old Quarter of Hanoi.

If you want to blend in and try out this local way of life, simply find a spot, grab a few stools and wait for the workers to come take your order. You can enjoy cup after cup of coffee or lemon juice till late in the night. Personally, I found that this simple lifestyle was very interesting as you get some of the best Street Coffee in Hanoi here.

Read some of my other similar Hanoi Articles;

• Blogger Comments
  • Facebook Comments

18 comments:

Connie said... 6 February 2011 00:21

Vietnamese drip coffee is to die for! I couldn't get enough of it when I was in Vietnam. It is the sole reason for my three month long insomnia. I just drank too much to sleep! And I just love how everyone just plops down by the side of the road at all hours for a glass!

E.d.Y said... 6 February 2011 12:13

looks happening..:)

IHSAN KHAIRIR said... 6 February 2011 14:17

wow the stools are quite small and short, they almost look like they're squatting!

David Jr said... 7 February 2011 18:08

Connie, the Vietnamese Coffee are to die for. i had at least 5-6 cups each day I was there trying out the various cafes. Amazing! Strange enough, here in Malaysia, the Vietnam Coffee just isn't the same, even at the Vietnamese Restaurants.

E.d.Y. Trust me, very happening, expecially when you join in the local fun.

Ishan, You're right about that. And they can sit for hours!

David

fie-nuts said... 9 February 2011 12:28

Heading to Vietnam in July so hopefully can swing by Hanoi too!
I'm a coffee junkie by the way.

Julia said... 10 February 2011 18:36

Love this photo, reminds me of a great time in Hanoi :)

David Jr said... 13 February 2011 00:12

Hi Fie, nice to know you're heading to Hanoi. I hope to come out with a few more articles about Hanoi and now I have a reason to do it quicker. Stay tuned!

Julia, thank you and likewise as I am missing the coffee BIG time! Even the supply I bought back was finished within a few weeks.

David
Malaysia Asia

Cathy Sweeney said... 14 February 2011 02:16

Never had Vietnamese coffee, but would love to try it. Looks like a fun place to enjoy a cup.

Jozef Maxted said... 14 February 2011 04:19

Haha what a great scene! Looks really funny the way they are perched on such tiny stalls!

Jillian from IShouldLogOff said... 14 February 2011 05:31

What memories of Hanoi! Those little seats reminded me of preschool when we were there, but looking at your photo now I think I'll now associate them with Hanoi.

It's late afternoon here, but I feel the need for a coffee....

monette | fliptravels said... 14 February 2011 09:33

can't wait to try this in a few days. thanks for all the links too! they sure are helpful for first time travelers to vietnam. :D

Migrationology said... 14 February 2011 10:58

Yes, I think I enjoyed 3 glasses of lemonade in those very chairs! I absolutely enjoyed relaxing on the street in Hanoi drinking great coffee.

Nancie said... 14 February 2011 12:25

I remember having coffee here! My only challenge was getting up after sitting on those little seats that are so close to the ground! :):)

I hope you'll remember Travel Photo Thursday this week :)

jade said... 14 February 2011 16:05

I'm not really a huge coffee drinker, but my boyfriend spend hours hunting down a great cup of joe. Fun!

David Jr said... 14 February 2011 17:37

Cath, once you have tried it - there is no drinking local coffee anymore :)

Jozef, yeah it is funny. Imagine walking around and all the local cafes are like this!

Jillian, amazingly, stools like this bring so much character to the streets. Now I'm dying to sit on one and have coffee.

Monette, that's nice to know you're headed there. Enjoy your trip and try the experience!

Mark, you betcha! I can never get enough of the Lemonade and Coffee here. I must have ODed on it during my trip.

Nancie, hahah after a few cups, I just wanted to sit on the floor.

Jade, then you better tell your BF to head to Hanoi to experience this. I cannot wait to go back.

Cheers,
David
Malaysia Asia

Adam said... 14 February 2011 22:24

OMG! I want to go back right now. This second. I soooooo miss my Vietnamese coffee fix. It was a main part of the reason I actually managed to gain weight while traveling in Vietnam. That and 25 cent Bia Hoi's.

Hotel Southern said... 23 February 2011 15:33

I love this photo and culture of Hanoi.

anhhh said... 25 May 2011 16:46

Those coffee shops near the church in yr picture are actually not famous for coffee but ice lemon tea. When coming there, just sit down and order a glass of ice lemon tea, then chatting with friends, seeing people walking in and out of the church. That's cool enough to keep people sitting there hours and hours. That corner is the favorite destination of the youth. After the whole day working hard, spending some hours at this corner chatting with friends and relaxing is cool. For those who love coffee, i suggest you guys to visit Nhan coffee, not here.

Item Reviewed: Street Coffee in Hanoi - Picture of the Week Description: Rating: 5 Reviewed By: David Jr
Scroll to Top