728x90 AdSpace

Latest News

09 August, 2010

Floating Market in Hat Yai Thailand

Floating Market in Hat Yai Thailand - This very interesting attraction is called Khong Hae Floating Market or Klonghae Floating Market and is one of the most popular tourist destinations in this region. Anyone who is heading to Hat Yai will most likely pay a visit to this unique floating market. Just about all kinds of local Thai food, snacks and drinks are sold by local Thai hawkers on little boats that dock by the river here. The beauty about this market is that these floating hawkers line up side by side and number to about 100 boats at any one time. Visit at about 6pm and you can witness these boats that paddle in to set up their floating shop and once they finish selling their items, the simply row away with the days takings.

Mobile Karaoke at the Floating Market in Hatyai

On arrival at the Floating Market here in Hat Yai, the first thing that greeted me was a mobile karaoke station where anyone could sing here for a price of 10 Baht. This was most definitely a hit with the locals here as the music kept going throughout my visit here.

Floating Market at Hatyai - Outside the main market

The Klonghae Floating Market is actually situated by a river and is divided into three sections. A general area where stalls are stationed on land with seating areas, the main boat hawkers which are stationed by the river and across the bridge on the ground. While the tourists will flock to the riverside for the amazing experience, the locals mostly hang out at the main area. I believe you can easily spend a good 30-45 minutes by the river before moving to the seated area.

Customers dealing with boat traders

There is no hassle experiencing this market as almost everything sold here is priced at 20 Thai Baht. (RM2 or US$0.65). From drinks, deserts, snacks and food which are all local Thai delicacies and they are Halal (Pork Free) too. On my visit here, I noticed how the boat hawkers went about trading where the sellers would be sitting in their boats, you simply tell them what and how many you want and they will serve it with a long bamboo stick stretched out to you. Money is then placed at the end of the stick and a sale is done.

As this was my first actual floating market visit, I have to admit it was such a great experience especially trying out the various Southern Thailand food here and funny enough, 95% of the traders were women here. There must have been about 80-100 boats selling all sorts of foods while a couple of them sold souvenirs and that it was relatively cheap in terms of tourism standards.

Fresh grilled prawns on stick

Thai noodles with chili and pickles

Bamboo drinks

One unique feature here was that some of the boat hawkers sold drinks in custom made bamboo cups or porcelain containers. I could not help but order one from one of the beautiful ladies here. A long bamboo about 12 inches long was cleaned and had a rope secured at the top for you to hold. The choice of orange or lemon was served inside and you could carry it around the floating market. All for the price of 20 Baht.

Thai style dim sum

Prawn cakes cut into calamari style

Thai style noodles served in banana container

Various Thai noodles that are found here

Chicken Briyani Thai style, was very different and interesting

Bamboo drink seller at the floating market

Selection of the Thai snacks and food bought there

Thai spicy seafood soup noodle in coconut

Some of the colorful jelly-type candy sold here

Boat hawkers with signs

Thai fish cakes, my personal favourite here

Main market at Klonghae Floating Market

On the main side of the floating market here, a variety of stalls are permanent fixtures selling all sorts of items from food to clothes. There are about 100 stalls here so you can take your time and browse these stalls. Some of the items that are sold here are not found at the floating section of the market while prices here vary according to what you buy. Souvenirs are mostly found in this area of the market too. If you venture across the bridge to the other side of the Floating Market, there are cultural shows and also some other stalls selling various items.

Floating Market in Hat Yai Thailand

Again I will stress, this was a totally unexpected surprise for me as I assumed that it was a simple floating market but I was very much impressed with the overall layout and selections here. Something unspoiled by modernization where you actually see how the locals trade here. I have my thanks going out to the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) for this trip and look forward to visiting this amazing place in future. For those heading up to Hat Yai from the Malaysia Border, make sure you have some time to visit this place. Most tour packages to Hat Yai would have this package included in the itinerary too.

To get to the the Khong Hae Floating Market or Klonghae Floating Market, you can ask any of the tour companies or taxis in town. This market is located about 4 kilometers from the town of Hat Yai (หาดใหญ่) at the Tambon Klonghae district and is only open from Friday to Sunday - 3pm till 9pm. Remember the timings as I have heard many cases of tourist visiting the Floating Market on weekdays only to be turned away.

You can follow Malaysia Asia of Facebook as we have lots of pictures, links and information on travel around Malaysia and Southeast Asia.

For those visiting this southern region, usually, you will spend at least three days and two nights as there are quite a number of things to do there and one of the most popular would be to visit the Floating Market in Hat Yai, Thailand.
  • Blogger Comments
  • Facebook Comments

25 comments:

Asia Market Girl said... 9 August 2010 21:30

Wow those look yummy

David Jr said... 9 August 2010 23:43

hanks Location Espagne and Asia Market Girl. You have to try those Thai snacks and food. Simply amazing!

David

fufu said... 10 August 2010 10:47

awwwww i miss thai food!!! DHL tomyam and green curry to brazil please! lol

David Jr said... 10 August 2010 16:32

Fufu, I wish I could but the FDA will now let me :) Red, Green and Yellow Curries.. mmm..

David

JIPP said... 13 August 2010 12:33

interesting how the use sticks to pass the food to you. I wonder if they use sticks to get the money from you too. Anywah, Thai food is always the best. Really wanna go there someday. Thanks for sharing.

David Jr said... 14 August 2010 00:04

Hi Jipp, actually they do, pass food and then you put the money back on the stick. Interesting huh?

David

The International Rambler said... 19 August 2010 22:05

Someone in Kota Bharu just introduced me to your blog. Good stuff! I was just in Hat Yai during two days ago and had no idea about the market. I will definitely try to plan to go on a weekend on my way back to Malaysia.

jeff

David Jr said... 20 August 2010 01:04

Hi there Jeff, thanks for stopping by and glad to be of help. I just posted another article on caves around Hat Yai. Do take a look and enjoy the weekend Floating Market in Hat Yai.

David

Strauss said... 25 August 2010 20:04

Amazing Destination to travel it has all the things that you want in the vacation!

David Jr said... 26 August 2010 17:40

Strauss - Thanks you. It is indeed a lovely place to visit. Lots of Eco-Tourism spots too.

Anonymous said... 9 September 2010 17:13

Hi, is the floating market only held on weekend..??

David Jr said... 9 September 2010 19:25

Yes, the Floating Market in Hat Yai is only open on weekends.

Anonymous said... 21 September 2010 16:12

Hi, any idea how to get to Koh Phangan from Hatyai...any recommendation on the travel agency that may offer the return transfer Hatyai-Koh Phangan at budget cost...thanks :-)

ken said... 23 December 2010 08:57

it looks nice.. but what about the overall perception on going on a holiday in hat yai? is it worth going? :)

David Jr said... 23 December 2010 12:57

Ken, if you are a nature person, then Hat Yai would be pretty decent to visit as they do have some caves and other places to visit. However, other than the floating market there's simply shopping to do in HY. I'd be happy to recommend Krabi for more things to do.

David

emi.samsudin said... 18 February 2011 19:55

hey there.
looks like your very enjoy with holiday in Hatyai.
anyway, just wanna ask you about the floating market.
Where is the place actually and what time does this market operation hours ?
It will be a great journalism for my final assignment.
=)

David Jr said... 19 February 2011 15:12

Emi, the information is posted just above;
To get to the the Khong Hae Floating Market you can ask any of the tour companies or taxis in town. This market is located about 4 kilometers from the town of Hat Yai (หาดใหญ่) at the Tambon Klonghae district and is only open from Friday to Sunday - 3pm till 9pm.

Love Hat Yai said... 28 March 2011 23:27

Klonghae Floating Market is a must-visit for many who travel to the bustling city named Hat Yai in Southern Thailand.

Anonymous said... 22 April 2011 12:11

I loved holidaying in Hatyai, the place & food, simply fascinating. Can I know when are they celebrating the Nine Emperor Gods Festival this year (the night procession)? I enjoyed watching, something which we don't see in Malaysia.

Thailand Hotels said... 16 May 2011 13:23

kanchanaburi said... 25 July 2011 21:31

Good article,thanks for share info

Floating Market said... 25 July 2011 21:35

Thank you very much for sharing such an informative article with us.

Jobless Girl said... 7 October 2011 14:17

The food there looks delicious. I like it.

Nisha said... 14 December 2011 17:34

Beautiful pictures and yes, a place not to be missed.
I have been to Hat Yai before but missed it since it was a weekday. Again going there but on a weekday. :(

Hairul said... 10 October 2012 12:44

Hi,

Just want to confirm, it is start from 3pm to 9pm Friday to Sunday?

Item Reviewed: Floating Market in Hat Yai Thailand Description: Rating: 5 Reviewed By: David Jr
Scroll to Top