Getting to Koh Lipe Thailand is fairly simple as there are a few ways into this island paradise on the Andaman Sea. Koh Lipe or Ko Leepae (Paper Island) is one of the last few remaining exotic islands of Southwest Thailand which used to be a hippy stop that is located in the Tarutao National Marine Park. The most common way here is from Pakbara town next to La-Ngu Town in the Satun district of Southern Thailand or via Telaga Harbor or Awana Porto Malai in Langkawi Island Malaysia.
Due to some recent issues with the ferry operators and the local Langkawi authorities, there have been some changes in the ferry services to Koh Lipe from here. It seems that there is a general ferry from Kuah Jetty to Koh Lipe that has started.
Also note that every season (year) the ferry timetables change, so it is best to double and triple check if you are on a very tight schedule. The Ferry service from Langkawi starts on 20th October too.
Ferry from Langkawi to Koh Lipe Update - August 2014
- The Langkawi Speedboat ferry transfers operate from Oct 20th - May 31st
- General Ferries are only from Kuah Town Jetty
- Tigerline will start their ferry service from Kuah to Koh Lipe and back from 8th November 2014
- Tigerline Website
- The speedboat service to Lipe from Telaga Harbour starts 20th Oct
- The immigration counter on Ko Lipe is closed until 20th Oct (Off Season)
- Take the 09.00am ferry from Kuah Jetty to Tammalang Pier in Satun which will arrive 09.15am (Thai time)
- Then take a 1 hour taxi ride to Pak Bara Pier
- One way ferry ticket is Baht 650
- Then catch the speedboat transfer 11.30am to Lipe which arrives at 13.00pm
- There is another speedboat at 15.00pm (From Nov 1st)
- Koh Lipe Thailand 1200 THB one way/person + 500 THB booking fee
- Telaga Harbour Terminal 128 MYR + 6 MYR booking fee. If you book online, you get a RM10 discount.
- In total this is about 1300 THB one way /person
Passport Office at Ko Lipe
UPDATE SEPTEMBER 2014
There is an ATM available now and also a 7-11 at the Walking Street of Ko Lipe.
UPDATE AUGUST 2014
You should not follow the timetable below as it is the old one, I have done the new one up above and due to the current changes, there may be different timings for 2014/2015.
For the below, there have been some confusion as a few readers have tried to contact a number of ferry operators but was told that they do not operate to Ko Lipe. I would suggest you go through the Telaga Harbor Ferry Service.
Ferry from Awana Porto Malai Resort in Langkawi to Koh Lipe;
Ticket price for Awana-Koh Lipe: RM129 per person one way
Return ticket Awana-Koh Lipe-Awana RM250 per pax.
Times: 10.30am, 12.00noon and 2.30pm
Contact Mr. Adam of Andaman Vacation
Telephone. +6012 463 6899
Tigerline Ferry timings to Koh Lipe and Langkawi
Departing Langkawi: 09.00 (Telaga), 09.00 (Awana Hotel jetty), 12.00 (Telaga)
Departing Lipe: 10.00 (To Telaga), 16.00 (To Telaga), 16.00 (To Awana Hotel jetty)
Ferry from Kuah Town in Langkawi to Koh Lipe;
Alternatively, you can go to the Kuah Pier at Langkawi town and book your ticket from the ferry counter to Tammalang. From Tammalang, Tarutao Island you can hop on to a direct ferry to Ko Adang or Ko Lipe. You need to pay about 350 bath per way.
Koh Lipe Packages via Travel Agents;
Apparently, there are a number of travel agents in Pantai Cenang (Cenang Beach) in Langkawi that offer 3D/2N packages to Ko Lipe. You can also check with them as they do an all-inclusive package with ferry transfer and lodging.
Some of the travel agencies in Hat Yai or Pak Bara also offer packages so you can check with the respective agents there too if you are coming from Bangkok or via Hat Yai.
Pak Barra serves as the main gateway to Koh Lipe from land.
View Telaga Harbor Marina in a larger map
Ferry to Koh Lipe from Telaga Harbor Langkawi
Update august 2014 - Please follow the updates in the begining of this post
Departing Telaga Harbour Langkawi twice a day - 0930hrs & 1430hrs
Returning from Koh Lipe twice a day - 1130hrs & 1700hr
Ticket bookings and availability online or Telaga Terminal, Telaga Harbour Marina, Langkawi.
One Way Ferry Ticket to Koh Lipe - RM 128 (US$42)
Return Ferry Ticket to Koh Lipe/Langkawi - RM 248 (US$82)